Having found a Pasche Air Brush at a yard sale for $5.00, I decided to give
airbrushing a try. Until I did the Yard sign below, (the last image), I had never used an airbrush before, and
wasn't sure what the end results would be like.
By the time I finished side one of the sign, I had pretty much figured out
how to use the airbrush, at least on wood, then I began to experiment on muslin. For painting on muslin, instead of
purchasing the expensive Airbrush paints, I used Delta Ceramcoat, it seemed to be the only hobby acrylic available
to me at the time that didn't have bugers that would clog the airbrush. Using a paint bottle I would dilute the
paint about 3:1 with water, (water being the 3), and sometimes even more dilute than this. The largest painting you
see below has maybe 6-8 ounces of paint to do the entire painting. As you can see, other than the cost of the
material, it is a very inexpensive way to express yourself. However, painting on solid surfaces, in some instances
airbrush paints work much better. This is not always the case, as the yard sign at the bottom was done using the
diluted acrylic method.
I have since then purchased a new Airbrush, a Paasche VLST Pro from
Dick Blick Art
Materials, and am quite pleased with the equipment and the service.
Air Brushed stable backdrop for the Children's Christmas
Play at our Church. This painting is roughly 10 feet tall by 13 feet wide. The painting took
approximately three full days to complete.
The theme for Vacation Bible School at our church for
the summer of 2004 was Rickshaw Rally, and Japanese theme, for decorations, we painted Japanese
based images, including Mt Fuji. This Painting is roughly 4 feet high by 9 feet long. Believe
it or not, it only took about 2 days to complete.
This was the Yard sign for the Rickshaw Rally VBS at our
church. The sign is a sandwich sign, 4 ft X 4 ft, and is painted identical on both